The Voice returns for Season 8 on Monday (8/7c, NBC), but it's not quite business as usual. Yes, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton are back once again, but this marks the first time Christina Aguilera and Pharrell Williams will sit side-by-side in those big red chairs. After two cycles away from the competition, will X-Tina bring her A-game? How will Pharrell switch up his strategy and coaching style now that he has one season under his belt? TVGuide.com caught an early look at the two-hour premiere to tease fans about what's to come.
1. A serious losing streak. No, thankfully, this isn't referring to some poor sap who keeps coming back for blind auditions only to get rejected by the coaches. One of the superstars themselves will suffer through an unbelievable dry spell, despite their very best efforts to turn their fortune around and add singers to their team. Will it be semi-newbie Pharrell? Or will it take Christina time to get her head back in the game? Or will doing eight seasons back-to-back-to-back finally catch up to Blake or Adam?
2. Blake gets a blast from his past. Usually the calm, cool and collected one on the show - after all, he's won four times now - Shelton is clearly shell-shocked when someone he knew a decade ago tries to get the coaches to turn their chairs. Even better than Shelton's reaction? The throwback photo of the two that puts Shelton's shoulder-length curly hair front and center. So. much. yes.
3. A heated new rivalry. They may be one of reality TV's strongest and longest-running show-bromances (yes, that is a thing we made up), but Blake and Adam have always been known to express their affection for one another through mean-spirited one-liners and playful yet fervent jabbing. That dynamic is still alive and well, but there is a new rivalry that will definitely capture viewers' attention within the first hour. These two have a mutual respect at their core - they share a sweet embrace after losing one singer to a third coach - but their constant sparring over contestants appears to just be getting started.
4. A surprise duet. Once again, the new season kicks off with a four-coach performance of a hit song guaranteed to get viewers on their feet... or at least swaying on their sofas. However, there is a second surprising duet that happens toward the end of the two-hour premiere that will be sure to get viewers, ahem, clapping along.
5. A major fashion faux pas. No, we're not talking about one of Christina's one-of-a-kind ensembles, although her blind-audition outfit does not disappoint. In the premiere, someone actually snatches Pharrell's hat for a few minutes. This is not a joke. This is not a test.
Watch a sneak peek from the Season 8 of The Voice now:
The Voice airs Mondays and Tuesdays at 8/7c on NBC.