The moment Smallvillefans have been waiting for since Clark (Tom Welling) sought out General Lane to get his blessing is upon us. Executive producers Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders tell TVGuide.com that Clark will propose to Lois (Erica Durance) within the next three episodes.
Will there be a wedding? Is Martha Kent's return tied to the occasion? Peterson and Souders spill those secrets and more, including Tess' new Luthor status, the alternate universe and Allison Mack's return.
8. Lois and Clark, Sitting in a Tree: It won't be long before the proposal. "In the next three episodes, he will have proposed," Peterson says. Whether or not that means Clark will let Lois be a part of his world will be a more complicated matter. Producers played coy when asked if the wedding itself would happen before the series finale; Sounders revealed only that there would be "wedding planning." "With Lois Lane, that's a bit of a ride in and of itself," she says.
7. The Vigilante Registration Act: The VRA, which forces the supes to reveal their identities, will play a big role in the next two episodes, and it will be one of the central reasons Martha Kent (Annette O'Toole) returns. "When the world puts pressure on her son, Martha Kent is not one to shy away from the challenge," Souders says.
6. Aquaman's Return: Aquaman (Alan Ritchson) comes stronger and more determined, thanks in part to the encouragement from his new wife, Mera. Expect great Justice League action this week, but also "an advancement in Lois and Clark's relationship out of what they see from Mera and A.C.," Peterson says.
5. Tess, Officially Luthor: And we should have figured it out sooner! "She's not had red hair for nothing," Peterson jokes. "There's a great story there that we start in Episode 10, 'Luthor' — which is Kelly's directorial debut — and then it actually continues throughout the rest of the season."
4. An Alternate Universe ...: Lionel Luthor (John Glover) returns in an upcoming episode, which take place in an alternate universe. Though the series has toyed with alternate universes before, Souders says, "this one certainly has an impact in our real world. Without a doubt you shouldn't miss the very end of that episode because there's several great takeaways." The alternate world wasn't just created for Smallville, either. "It actually ties into the DC Universe," Peterson says.
3. ... with Alternate Relationships: "Relationships are definitely different there," Souders says of the alternate universe. Should we not expect a happy Lois and Clark there? "I would say Lois is a very consistent person, universally," Souders says. "There's a really wonderful moment between her and Clark that sort of makes you believe in true love."
2. Chloe's Return: After faking her death to protect Oliver (Justin Hartley), Chloe will reemerge early next year and reveal where she's been all this time. "Certainly the Chloe fans will have a lot to sink their teeth into," Souders says of Mack's arc.
1. Clark's Secret Identity: Though Clark has a newer super suit, he still walks around the Daily Planet sans glasses. What's up with that? The producers say they're inching toward getting Clark behind those hide-all spectacles. "We have shown all the pitfalls of coming out this year between Oliver and Supergirl and the VRA. It's really put pressure on Clark that when you [come out], you have to do it right, and you only can do it when you're ready," Peterson says.
Smallville airs Fridays at 8/7c on the CW.