Quick, get Halle Berry some more Kleenex: Angela Bassett says she turned down Berry's Oscar-winning role in Monster's Ball because she didn't want to play a stereotype. "It's about character, darling," she tells Newsweek. "I wasn't going to be a prostitute on film. I couldn't do that because it's such a stereotype about black women and sexuality... It's about putting something out there you can be proud of 10 years later. I mean, Meryl Streep won Oscars without all that." Natch, Bassett insists her comments were not intended as a diss to Berry not that we were reading between the lines or anything.
- 1. Nina Dobrev Is Too Busy to Be on Legacies, but She Loves That You Love It
- 2. Put Some Respect on Chris Tucker's Name
- 3. Where All the People from Netflix's The Innocent Man Are Now
- 4. A Plea to Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 2: More Witchcraft, Less Romance
- 5. Rufus Lives in the Timeless Series Finale Trailer!
- 6. 4 Theories about the Gargoyle King on Riverdale That Sound Pretty Legit
- 7. 23 Easter Eggs in the Arrowverse 'Elseworlds' Crossover You May Have Missed