Day 12 of the Rio Olympics ought to be a rockin' night on the sand for the women's beach volleyball final. Here's the big stuff you should keep an eye out for on Wednesday, Aug. 17 (all times ET).
Beach volleyball, women's medal matches
9:00 p.m. (bronze medal match) and 11:00 p.m. (gold medal match)
Kerri Walsh Jennings won't be four-peating after suffering her first Olympic beach volleyball loss in the semis, with April Ross, to Brazilians Agatha and Barbara. The home favorites will go for gold against Germans Laura Ludwig and Kira Walkenhorst. Walsh Jennings and Ross will play for bronze against Brazilians Larissa and Talita. You can bet Copacabana Beach will be lit, as the kids say.
Track and field, decathlon
American Ashton Eaton, who hasn't lost since winning gold in London, begins his quest to become the first man to defend the decathlon title since Brit Daley Thompson in 1984. His day kicks off with the 100 meters, long jump and shot put. The high jump takes place at 4:45 p.m. and the 400 meters is scheduled to go down at 7:20 p.m.
Basketball, men's quarterfinals
The full day of games starts with Australia vs. Lithuania. Two-time reigning silver medalist Spain takes on France at 1:30 p.m., followed by two-time defending champs the United States vs. Argentina -- the team that beat the Americans in 2004 -- at 5:45 p.m. Croatia vs. Serbia closes out the action at 9:15 p.m.
Other medal events:
- Equestrian, team jumping (9:00 a.m.)
- Table tennis, men's team (bronze medal match at 10:00 a.m.; gold medal match at 6:30 p.m.)
- Track and field, men's 3,000-meter steeplechase (10:50 a.m.)
- Badminton, mixed doubles gold medal match (11:30 a.m.)
- Sailing, women's 470 dinghy (12:05 p.m.)
- Boxing, women's light 60 kilogram (semifinals at 1:00 p.m. and 1:15 p.m.)
- Boxing, men's welter 69 kilogram (3:30 p.m.)
- Wrestling, women's freestyle 48 kilogram (bronze medal matches at 3:45 p.m.; gold medal match at 4:05 p.m.)
- Wrestling, women's freestyle 58 kilogram (bronze medal matches at 4:30 p.m.; gold medal match at 4:50 p.m.)
- Wrestling, women's freestyle 69 kilogram (bronze medal matches at 5:15 p.m.; gold medal match at 5:35 p.m.)
- Taekwondo, women's 49 kilogram (bronze medal matches at 8:00 p.m.; gold medal match at 9:00 p.m.)
- Taekwondo, men's 58 kilogram (bronze medal matches at 8:15 p.m.; gold medal match at 9:15 p.m.)
- Track and field, women's long jump (8:15 p.m.)
- Track and field, women's 200 meters (9:30 p.m.)
- Track and field, women's 100-meter hurdles (9:55 p.m.)