- An aunt financed his education at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts; his father disapproved of him wanting to become an actor and refused to pay for the classes.
- Was engaged to Jean Harlow at the time of her death in 1937.
- Was diagnosed with rectal cancer in the late 1930s, but survived with treatment.
- Costarred with ex-wife Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey (1936).
- Most frequent costar was Myrna Loy, with whom he starred in the Nick and Nora Charles film series.
- 1934, Oscar — Best Actor: Nominee
- 1947, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1936, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Carole Lombard — Ex-wife
- Diana Lewis — Wife
- William David Powell — Son
- Nettie Brady Powell — Mother
- Jean Harlow — Ex-significant Other
- Horatio Warren Powell — Father
- Eileen Wilson — Ex-wife
- Attended the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, United States; attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York, New York, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. This Is Us Just Dropped the Biggest Clue About Rebecca's Condition
- 2. Hulu Will Spare Veronica Mars Fans From a Fifth Season (For Now)
- 3. The Mandalorian Chapter 1 Recap: Our Biggest Theory on Who the Mandalorian Actually Is
- 4. Angelica Ross Says American Horror Story: 1984's Final Girl Won't Please All Fans
- 5. A Friends Reunion Special Is Reportedly in the Works at HBO Max
- 6. Marvel Disney Plus Shows: Premiere Dates, Teasers, and Everything to Know
- 7. Dawson's Return Will Stir Up 'Mixed Emotions' for Brett and Casey on Chicago Fire