- Moved around a lot as a child, including spending some time in the Philippines, because of his father's military career.
- Performed as Prince Escalus in the University of Kansas stage production of Romeo & Juliet in 2004.
- Did a one-man show while at Yale Drama School called Good Words.
- Studied at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy.
- Grace Gealey — Wife
- Andrew College, Cuthbert, Georgia, United States (AA in Theater); University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, United States (BA in Communications); Yale University, School of Drama, New Haven, Connecticut, United States (MFA in Acting, 2011)