- As a teen, performed in an acting troupe that entertained movie-theater patrons during intermissions; and worked for free as a makeup artist and monster designer for a Pittsburgh TV station's Chiller Theater show.
- Spent three years as a combat photographer for the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War; says that his experiences there have influenced his films.
- Made his feature-film directorial debut with a 1990 remake of Romero's horror classic Night of the Living Dead.
- Released two books on creating makeup effects: Grande Illusions: A Learn-By-Example Guide to the Art and Technique of Special Make-Up Effects from the Films of Tom Savini in 1983, and Grande Illusions: Book II, in 1994.
- Is an instructor in the Special Make-Up Effects program at the Douglass Education Center in Monessen, PA.
- No longer creates special effects for movies, but continues to focus on his career as an actor and director.
- Audrey Savini — Daughter
- Lia Savini — Daughter
- Lon Savini — Son
- Nancy Hare — Wife
- Hank Savini — Brother
- Attended Point Park University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States; attended Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Elizabeth Warren and AOC's Recap of the Game of Thrones Finale Is Better Than the Actual Finale
- 2. Quavo Brings His Signature Migos Adlibs to the black-ish Finale In This Sneak Peek
- 3. Here's When The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Arrives on Netflix
- 4. Everything We Know About the Game of Thrones Prequel So Far
- 5. George R.R. Martin Teases Whether He's Keeping Game of Thrones' Ending for the Books
- 6. Black Mirror Season 5 Episode Trailers and Storylines Finally Revealed
- 7. Good Omens Review: Demonic David Tennant Saves the World (and the Show) From Disaster