- Became interested in rock-and-roll music after meeting Elvis Presley at age 10 (1961); decided to become a rock musician after seeing The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show.
- First solo album, 1989's Full Moon Fever, charted as high as No. 3 and went triple platinum.
- Played the Bridge City mayor in Kevin Costner's 1997 film The Postman.
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1999, and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
- Began hosting a show called Buried Treasure on XM satellite radio in 2005.
- Had a recurring guest role on the Fox animated comedy King of the Hill; voiced the character of Elroy "Lucky" Kleinschmidt, who occasionally played guitar in the band Big Mountain Fudgecake.
- 1995, Grammy — Best Male Rock Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1989, Grammy — Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Winner
- 2008, Grammy — Best Long Form Music Video: Winner
- Dana York — Wife
- Jane Benyo — Ex-wife
- Adria Petty — Daughter
- Anna Kim Petty — Daughter
- Bruce Petty — Brother
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The 100: Is This the End of Clarke as We Know Her?
- 2. How NCIS Pulled Off That Shocking Return in the Season 16 Finale
- 3. HBO Confirms Game of Thrones Spin-Offs Won't Feature Future Westeros
- 4. Game of Thrones' Water Bottle Culprit Revealed in the Final Dolls of Thrones Recap
- 5. Stranger Things' New Coke Teaser Wants You To Believe New Coke Was Good
- 6. Clarke is Getting Sexy in These New The 100 Photos!
- 7. The Bachelorette Is Ruled by F-Boys