- Started wrestling in high school, and made his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) debut at the age of 22.
- Was the UFC light-heavyweight champion from April 2000 to September 2003, successfully defending his title five times.
- Worked as a coach on Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter reality series from 2006 to 2007.
- Was a cast member on Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice in 2008.
- Has acted in a number of films, including Cradle 2 the Grave, The Crow: Wicked Prayer and the controversial Valley of the Wolves: Iraq.
- Operates a successful sportswear clothing line called Punishment Athletics.
- Nicknamed "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy."
- Jacob Ortiz Jr. — Son
- Sam Ortiz — Father
- Kristin — Ex-wife
- Jesse Jameson Ortiz — Son
- Journey Jett Ortiz — Son
- Joyce Ortiz — Mother
- Jenna Jameson — Significant Other
- Attended Golden West Community College, Huntington Beach, California, United States