- Started his career as a singer at the age of 13 and entered into the movie industry at the age of 17.
- Formed one of the most successful on-screen love team of all time with Nora Aunor in the 1970s and 1980s. They were labelled as Guy and Pip.
- Received the Best Actor Award from FAMAS for his role in the movie Bilangin Mo Ang Bituin Sa Langit.
- Won the Gawad Urian Award for Best Supporting Actor in the movie Kahit Buhay Ko.
- Was recognized for his work in the TV drama Valiente as he won the 1997 PMPC Star Awads for Television Best Drama Actor.
- Battled stage II cancer in 2014 and went through surgery which was a success.
- Lyn Ynchausti-Cruz — Wife
- TJ Cruz — Son
- Bodie Cruz — Son
- Djanin Cruz — Daughter