- Served as special counsel in the United States Senate from 1977 to '82, and as counselor in the New York Governor's office from 1983 to '84.
- Named NBC News' Washington bureau chief in 1989.
- Took over as moderator of NBC's Meet the Press---the longest-running series in TV history---in 1991.
- Twice recognized as Father of the Year: in 1995 by the National Father's Day Committee and in 2001 by the National Fatherhood Initiative.
- Shared the 2001 Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Excellence in Television Journalism for a 2000 interview with Sen. John McCain.
- Released two best-selling books: 2004's Big Russ and Me and 2006's Wisdom of Our Fathers.
- Received more than 40 honorary doctorate degrees from American universities and colleges.
- Betty Burkenroth — Sister
- Patricia — Sister
- Maureen Orth — Wife
- Elizabeth — Mother
- Kathy — Sister
- Luke Russert — Son
- Timothy Russert — Father
- John Carroll University, University Heights, Ohio, United States (1972); Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio, United States (1976)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Pick Your Favorite Ships and We'll Reveal Your TV Soulmate
- 2. The Queer Eye's Fab 5 Love Up on Each Other in This Video and It's Too Pure
- 3. Listen to Big Brother Brothers: The Ultimate Unofficial Podcast From TV Guide
- 4. How Everyone in Netflix's Dark Is Connected
- 5. Murder Mystery Review: The Real Mystery Is How Adam Sandler's New Film Is Decent
- 6. Anthony Bourdain's Graphic Novel Is Being Turned Into an Animated Series
- 7. Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue: What's Fact and What's Fiction?