- First role was the mother-in-law in a school production of The Caucasian Chalk Circle.
- Offered a role in a series that filmed in Los Angeles, he turned it down and recommitted to stage acting in London.
- Was engaged in long-standing prank with Judi Dench in which they tried to hide a black glove in each other's productions.
- Played both Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson at different points in his career; also wrote two children's books about the Baker Street Irregulars.
- Awarded the Order of the British Empire for his acting shortly before his death.
- 2015, Olivier Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 1985, BAFTA Television Awards — Best Actor: Winner
- 2018, BAFTA Television Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2010, Olivier Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2016, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- Harry Thomas Pigott-Smith — Father
- Margaret Muriel — Mother
- University of Bristol, Bristol, England (BA in Drama, 1967); Bristol Old Vic Theater School, Bristol, England
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Go Behind the Scenes of That Andre Flashback Scene in Marvel's Cloak and Dagger
- 2. Here's What It's Like to Go to IDCon, the Unofficial Murderchella
- 3. Netflix's The Perfection Review: Logan Browning's Projectile Vomit Is Far from the Grossest Part
- 4. What to Stream the Weekend of May 24
- 5. Where We Left Off With Star Trek: Picard's Eponymous Captain
- 6. Could Whiskey Cavalier Get a Second Season After All?
- 7. The First Teaser Trailer for Star Trek: Picard Is Here and Something's Up with Jean-Luc