Part of the Daly acting dynasty, which includes his Emmy-winning father James and his Emmy-, Golden Globe- and Tony-winning older sister Tyne, Tim may not quite live up to his relatives in accolades but surpasses them in popularity. Although he made an auspicious film debut in the 1982 coming-of-age drama Diner, movies wouldn't be kind to Daly over the years. TV, however, was the ideal medium for his talents, and in 1990 he landed his seminal small-screen role on Wings as an adorable, levelheaded pilot who tolerated the other characters' wacky shenanigans. During his seven-year tenure on the sitcom, Daly wisely sought out extracurricular projects, mostly TV-movies that allowed him to play against type, such as cult leader David Koresh in In the Line of Duty: Ambush in Waco and a convicted killer in Witness to the Execution, although he never quite shed his hunky image. After Wings' cancellation, Daly kept busy, voicing the title character in the animated Superman series, and popping up in supporting film roles in between short-lived series (the remake of The Fugitive, Eyes, The Nine). In 2007, he found TV stability once again when he was cast as Dr. Pete Wilder in the Grey's Anatomy spin-off Private Practice.
- Beginning in 1996, voiced the titular superhero in the WB animated series Superman.
- Appeared alongside his then-wife, Amy Van Nostrand, in episodes of The Fugitive and Wings, and the TV-movies Dangerous Heart, Execution of Justice (playing spouses) and Bereft, which he also coproduced and codirected.
- Acted opposite his sister Tyne in episodes of Wings and Judging Amy, as well as the TV-movie Execution of Justice.
- Broke both of his legs in a skiing accident while attending the 2017 Sundance Film Festival, forcing his show Madam Secretary to re-write episodes.
- Heads his own production company, Red House Entertainment.
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Emelyn Daly — Daughter
- Téa Leoni — Significant Other
- Pegeen Daly — Sister
- Amy Van Nostrand — Ex-wife
- Sam Daly — Son
- Glynnis Daly — Sister
- James Daly — Father
- Tyne Daly — Sister
- Hope Newell — Mother
- Bennington College, Bennington, Vermont, United States (BA in Theater and Literature, 1979)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. SNL's Game of Thrones Rap Tribute Turns into a Grace and Frankie Fan Flex
- 2. All the Funniest Game of Thrones Season 8 Memes and Tweets
- 3. How the Blacklist Finale Set Up a Stronger Season 7
- 4. The Blacklist Bosses Break Down the Shocking Reveals of the Season 6 Finale
- 5. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Canceled After 17 Years in Syndication
- 6. Only Bill Hader Could Think Up Barry's Killer Kid Plot (And Make It Work)
- 7. HBO's His Dark Materials Trailer Is Already Giving Us the Adaptation We Deserve