- Moved with his parents to Florida from Cuba after Fidel Castro came to power.
- Classmates with Ray Liotta at the University of Miami.
- Met first wife Melanie Griffith on the set of She's in the Army Now, his first TV movie.
- Studied under famed acting instructor Stella Adler.
- Stage name comes from his maternal grandmother.
- 1984, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1991, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- Monica Ramon — Ex-significant Other
- Esteban Echevarria — Father
- Melanie Griffith — Ex-wife
- Ingrid Anderson — Ex-wife
- Ernesto Echevarria — Brother
- Alexander Bauer — Son
- Lillian Samson Agostini — Mother
- Dylan Dean Bauer — Son
- Christiana Boney — Ex-wife
- Attended Miami Dade College, Miami, Florida, United States; University of Miami, Miami, Florida, United States (BFA in Acting, 1978)