- Spent four years after college teaching English and math at public schools in the Los Angeles area
- Became the first female to oversee a studio's motion picture production when she was appointed president of production at 20th Century Fox in 1980.
- Named Hollywood's most powerful woman in 2002 by the Hollywood Reporter.
- Was the CEO and chair of the Motion Picture Group of Paramount Pictures from 1992 to 2005.
- Among the founders of the Stand Up to Cancer foundation.
- Awarded the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 2007.
- Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her work as a studio head (the first woman studio boss to receive that honor), as well as hand and footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theater.
- 2006, Oscar — Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award: Winner
- 1987, Oscar — Best Motion Picture of the Year: Nominee
- William Friedkin — Husband
- Jack — Stepson
- Cedric — Stepson
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, United States (BS in Speech, 1966)
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Brienne Is the Last Good Thing About Game of Thrones
- 2. Game of Thrones: 3 Theories Why the Crypts Will be Key in the Battle for Winterfell
- 3. All the Best GIFs From Game of Thrones' Final Season
- 4. Your Cheatsheet to All the Game of Thrones Weapons and Who Wields Them in Season 8
- 5. The Meaning Behind Pod's Song in Game of Thrones
- 6. Here's Where the Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' Falls in Our Ranking
- 7. Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked