Acting success came quickly for Delaware native Phillippe, who made history when he landed his first role on the soap One Life to Live in 1992: his character, Billy Douglas, was daytime television's first gay adolescent. Although he left the show that same year, Phillippe's star continued to rise, and he cemented his teen idol status in 1997 as one of the attractive ensemble members of the hit horror flick I Know What You Did Last Summer. He also won the heart of future Cruel Intentions costar Reese Witherspoon after meeting her at her 21st birthday bash. Like Witherspoon, Phillippe worked diligently to shed his teen-idol image, choosing challenging supporting parts in indies (Gosford Park, Igby Goes Down, the Oscar-winning Crash) as opposed to hollow Hollywood fare. Though he and Witherspoon, the parents of two children, split in 2006, the actor has continued to appear in both critically and commercially successful films. He even broadened his range to include comedy with his appearance in the buddy flick MacGruber (2010), which was inspired by a Saturday Night Live sketch.
- Breakthrough role was gay teenager Billy Douglas on the soap One Life to Live.
- Did an Armani jeans commercial for director David LaChapelle that also featured Amanda Lepore.
- Has a black belt in tae kwon do.
- Met former wife Reese Witherspoon at her 21st birthday party.
- Established the production company Lucid Films with actors Seth Green and Breckin Meyer.
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- 2006, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- Abbie Cornish — Ex-significant Other
- Deacon Reese Phillippe — Son
- Amanda Seyfried — Ex-significant Other
- Katelyn Phillippe — Sister
- Paulina Slagter — Ex-fiancée
- Alexis Knapp — Ex-significant Other
- Ava Elizabeth Phillippe — Daughter
- Richard Phillippe — Father
- Kirsten Phillippe — Sister
- Lindsay Phillippe — Sister
- Reese Witherspoon — Ex-wife
- Susan Phillippe — Mother
- Kailani Merizalde Phillippe Knapp — Daughter
Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
Every recap, review, ranking, explainer, and fan theory you need
The Best Big Bang Theory Guest Stars, Ranked
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Angry Red Keeps Things Interesting on The Blacklist
- 2. One Chicago Is Losing Three of Its Stars, Including Jon Seda
- 3. Bellamy and Echo Will Be a 'Great Unit' in The 100 Season 6
- 4. Station 19 Just Tried to Pull a This Is Us with Chief Ripley
- 5. Grey's Anatomy: Jo's Downward Spiral Is Going to Ruin Her Life
- 6. All the Easter Eggs You Missed From The Twilight Zone, Legacies, Game of Thrones, and More
- 7. Everything We Know About The Handmaid's Tale Season 3 So Far