Although for years this Goth-styled goddess was better known as Marilyn Manson's fiancée (and for her see-through dress at the 1998 MTV Video Awards), McGowan made her own name away from the shock rocker in a number of B-projects. She startled viewers and critics alike as a troubled teen in the violence-and-sex soaked 1995 indie The Doom Generation and the next year she hit the Hollywood mainstream as one of the victims in the horror flick Scream. While she continued to grace the big screen in campy fare, including Jawbreaker (1999) and Monkeybone (2001), TV is where she became a star. McGowan joined the cast of Charmed in 2001 as the long-lost sister of a trio of witches, helping the show weather departed star Shannen Doherty's abrupt exit. After the series was canceled in 2006, she returned to movies, notably playing two antithetical roles in the Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez double feature Grindhouse (2007). McGowan, who split with Manson in 2001, was also romantically involved with Rodriguez until a broken engagement in 2009, though their professional relationship continued in the director's 2010 film Machete.
- Spent part of her childhood in a commune in Italy, where her father ran a chapter of the Children of God movement (the same religious group in which fellow thespians River and Joaquin Phoenix were raised).
- Attended beauty and art schools in Seattle before moving to Los Angeles and pursuing acting.
- Nominated for an Independent Spirit Award (Best Debut Performance) in 1996 for her work in The Doom Generation (1995).
- Sang backup vocals on Marilyn Manson's "Posthuman," a track on his 1998 album, Mechanical Animals.
- Caused a huge stir with the barely there dress she wore to the 1998 MTV Movie Awards.
- Is a fan of the Boston Terrier dog breed, and has done volunteer work for the non-profit group Boston Terrier Rescue Net.
- 1996, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Debut Performance: Nominee
- Daisy McGowan — Sister
- Marilyn Manson — Ex-fiancé
- Robert Rodriguez — Ex-fiancé
- Daniel McGowan — Father
- Nathaniel McGowan — Brother
- Terri McGowan — Mother
- Davey Detail — Ex-husband