- Became interested in filmmaking after watching Star Wars.
- His father, the owner of a garden-machinery company, financed his early films.
- Went to the University of Television and Film Munich with the intention of being a production designer, but ended up becoming a director.
- In 2006 pledged $150,000 to the Legacy Project, which works to preserve gay and lesbian films.
- In a July 2009 interview stated, "The day I stop making movies, I'll die."
- 2012, Deutscher Filmpreis — Best Feature Film: Nominee
- Ute Emmerich — Sister
- The University of Television and Film Munich, Munich, Germany
- 1. The Most Popular Show of 2018 Isn't Even on Anymore
- 2. Where to Stream Penny Marshall's Best Movies and TV Shows
- 3. All the TV Marathons Airing on Christmas
- 4. There's a Queer as Folk Reboot in the Works at Bravo
- 5. Penny Marshall, Prolific Actress and Director, Dead at 75
- 6. George Takei Is Headed to AMC's The Terror
- 7. NBC Sets Premiere Dates for John Legend's Season of The Voice and Much More