- Joined the Army the day after graduating from high school and served as a paratrooper and demolition expert in the Pacific during World War II; was awarded a Purple Heart and Bronze Star.
- Was a Golden Gloves boxer in the Army.
- Wrote numerous scripts for radio and TV after leaving the Army and graduating from college; big break and first Emmy came with his 1955 business drama Patterns, which became the first TV program to be rebroadcast due to popularity.
- Best known for creating, producing, hosting and writing more than half of the scripts for The Twilight Zone, the cult-classic series which also spawned movie and TV-series reboots.
- Cowrote the 1968 sci-fi classic Planet of the Apes.
- Hosted the syndicated game show Liar's Club in 1969.
- Wrote the pilot script for the horror anthology series Night Gallery, which was the directorial debut of Steven Spielberg.
- Was posthumously inducted into the TV Academy Hall of Fame in 1985.
- Was featured on a U.S. stamp released in 2009 as part of the 'Early TV Memories' stamp collection.
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Drama - Adaptation: Winner
- 1976, Writers Guild Awards — The Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award for Television Writing Achievement: Winner
- 1958, Emmy — Best Teleplay Writing- One Hour or More: Winner
- 1957, Emmy — Best Teleplay Writing- One Hour or More: Winner
- 1956, Emmy — Best Television Adaptation: Nominee
- 1965, Writers Guild Awards — Drama: Nominee
- 1959, Emmy — Best Writing of a Single Dramatic Program-One Hour or Longer: Nominee
- 1956, Emmy — Best Original Teleplay Writing: Winner
- 1963, Golden Globe — Television Producer/Director: Winner
- 1960, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Drama: Winner
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Drama: Nominee
- 1961, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Drama: Winner
- 1956, Peabody — Personal Award: Winner
- Jodi Serling — Daughter
- Anne Serling — Daughter
- Robert Serling — Brother
- Esther Serling — Mother
- Samuel Lawrence Serling — Father
- Carolyn Louise Serling — Wife
- Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, United States (BA, 1950)