- Made home movies with his sister as a child.
- As a kid, would sneak into theater dance rehearsals and observe.
- Joined a local musical-theater company at age 12.
- Took time off from college to join a touring company of A Chorus Line.
- In the early '80s, moved to New York City, where he performed in Broadway shows and worked behind the scenes as a dance captain and assistant choreographer.
- Suffered an injury while performing in Cats, so he decided to stop performing and focus on choreography before eventually moving into directing theatrical productions.
- First Broadway credit as a choreographer was 1993's Kiss of a Spider Woman.
- Was given the job of directing the 2002 big-budget film Chicago, even though the 1999 TV adaptation of Annie was his only Hollywood directing credit at the time.
- 2003, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2003, BAFTA Film Awards — The David Lean Award for Achievement in Direction: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Choreography: Winner
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Choreography: Nominee
- 1998, Tony — Choreographer: Nominee
- 1993, Tony — Choreographer: Nominee
- 1999, Tony — Choreographer: Nominee
- 2002, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Winner
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Choreography: Winner
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Directing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program: Winner
- 1994, Tony — Choreographer: Nominee
- 1997, Emmy — Outstanding Choreography: Nominee
- 2002, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Winner
- 1998, Tony — Director (Musical): Nominee
- Maura Marshall — Sister
- Kathleen Marshall — Sister
- John DeLuca — Significant Other
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States (Musical theater, 1982)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The 100's Tasya Teles Opens Up about Echo's 'Heartbreaking' Origin Story
- 2. Love Island Recap: America Desperately Needs to Shake Things Up With Its Vote
- 3. The Bachelorette's Luke Somehow Dug His Grave Even Deeper During the Men Tell All
- 4. Here's Your First Look at Looking for Alaska's Culver Creek Prep
- 5. The Boys Review: Eric Kripke's New Superhero Show Is Much More Than Its Edgelord Premise
- 6. Lifetime Is Doing a Movie on the College Admissions Scandal, Obviously
- 7. Janelle Monae to Replace Julia Roberts in Homecoming Season 2