- Both his parents were vaudeville and burlesque performers.
- His first job was selling pralines on street corners in the French Quarter of New Orleans when he was 8 years old.
- Took the name "Richard" after an uncle who paid for his college tuition.
- Was an obese child, weighing 200 lbs in the eighth grade and 268 lbs when he graduated high school.
- Considered becoming a priest before entering college to study art.
- While living in Florence, Italy as an exchange student, he appeared in many television commercials including one where he played a dancing meatball.
- Around the age of 20 he lost 149 lbs in two and a half months. His starvation diet landed him in the hospital and caused all his hair to fall out. The experience inspired him to learn about healthy dieting and exercise.
- Owns 400 pairs of his trademark Dolfin brand shorts.
- Collects art glass and dolls, and has over 400 dolls he displays on a rotating basis at his Hollywood Hills home.
- His 65 fitness videos have sold over 20 million copies.
- With the help of Congressmen Zach Wamp and Ron Kind, he introduced the Fit Kids Bill in favor of funding physical education in schools and has testified on its behalf.
- Leonard Simmons Jr. — Brother
- Leonard Douglas Simmons Sr. — Father
- Shirley May Satin Simmons — Mother
- Florida State University,Tallahassee, Florida, United States (BA in Art)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Riverdale's Season 4 Premiere Will 'Honor' Luke Perry
- 2. Jason Momoa Would 100 Percent Do a Twins Remake with Peter Dinklage
- 3. 6 Suggestions for What Chris Hemsworth Should Do Next in His Career
- 4. Mark-Paul Gosselaar Already Has a New Role After The Passage Cancellation
- 5. What's Coming to Amazon in July
- 6. The Rain Renewed at Netflix for Third and Final Season
- 7. Dark Season 2 Review: Still Great, but We Can't Say Why Without Netflix Killing Us