- Joined the Chicago Sun-Times as a columnist in 1987.
- Won the 1992 National Headliner Award, recognizing the best newspaper columnist in the country, in the category "Consistently Outstanding Local Interest Column on a Variety of Subjects."
- A frequent contributor on Chicago radio and Fox affiliate morning-TV programs.
- Following the February 1999 death of Gene Siskel, he was among nearly two dozen guest film critics seated across the aisle from Roger Ebert on his nationally syndicated show; in July 2000, he took over as the permanent co-host on the renamed Ebert & Roeper at the Movies.
- Is the author of several books, including He Rents, She Rents: The Ultimate Film Guide to the Best Women's Films and Guy Movies (1999; with Laurie Viera) and Sox and the City: A Fan's Love Affair with the White Sox from the Heartbreak of '67 to the Wizards of Oz (2006).
- Bob Roeper — Father
- Margaret Roeper — Mother
- Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois, United States (1982)