- Had written several songs by the age of 14, and had his first published at 17.
- Met lyricist Lorenz Hart in 1919 and began a 24-year collaboration.
- Partnership with Hart resulted in a number of enduring hit songs, including "My Heart Stood Still," "My Funny Valentine," "Where or When" and "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered."
- Pulitzer Prize-winning 1943 musical Oklahoma! marked the beginning of Rodgers' 17-year partnership with lyricist Oscar Hammerstein II.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein's subsequent triumphs included the musicals Carousel (1945), South Pacific (1949), The King and I (1951) and The Sound of Music (1959).
- Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970.
- Honored posthumously when the 46th Street Theatre on Broadway was renamed Richard Rodgers Theatre in 1990.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein were commemorated on a U.S. postage stamp in 1999.
- Daughters Mary and Linda have established themselves as musical composers, as have their sons, Adam Guettel and Peter Melnick.
- 1962, Tony — Musical: Nominee
- 1950, Tony — Producer (Musical): Winner
- 1956, Tony — Musical: Nominee
- 1962, Tony — Composer: Winner
- 1965, Tony — Composer and Lyricist: Nominee
- 1960, Tony — Musical: Winner
- 1996, Tony — Original Musical Score: Nominee
- 1950, Tony — Score: Winner
- 1972, Tony — Special Award: Winner
- 1979, Tony — Lawrence Langner Memorial Award for Distinguished Lifetime Achievement in the American Theatre: Winner
- 1952, Tony — Musical: Winner
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composed for Television: Winner
- 1962, Grammy — Best Original Cast Show Album: Winner
- 1960, Grammy — Best Show Album (Original Cast): Winner
- 1959, Tony — Musical: Nominee
- 1945, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Song): Winner
- 1950, Tony — Musical: Winner
- 1962, Tony — Special Award: Winner
- 1958, Emmy — Best Musical Contribution for Television: Nominee
- Dorothy Feiner Rodgers — Wife
- Mortimer Rodgers — Brother
- Linda Rodgers — Daughter
- William Abraham Rodgers — Father
- Mamie Levy Rodgers — Mother
- Mary Rodgers — Daughter
- Columbia University, New York, New York, United States; Institute of Musical Art, New York, New York, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Big Brother 21 Brought Bullying Issues to the Surface. Now What?
- 2. Tiffany Haddish Puts Six Comedians in the Spotlight in Netflix Special They Ready
- 3. The Orange Is the New Black Refresher You Need Before Season 7
- 4. Relive the Good Parts of Veronica Mars Season 4 With These GIFs
- 5. The 100's Tasya Teles Gushes Over Bob Morley's Directorial Debut
- 6. The Bachelorette Men Tell All Recap: Lukey, You Have Some 'Splaining to Do
- 7. Love Island Recap: The Villa Welcomes 6 New Sexy Singles