- Nicknamed "The King."
- As a teenager, he worked as a mechanic for his father, Lee Petty, also a NASCAR driver and winner of the first Daytona 500.
- Recorded 200 wins during his NASCAR career, including seven Daytona 500 victories.
- Won the NASCAR Rookie of the Year award in 1959.
- Apart from Dale Earnhardt, he's the only driver to have won seven NASCAR Championships.
- One of the founders of the Victory Junction Gang Camp for terminally and chronically ill children; he donated land and money for the camp. The camp was the brainchild of his grandson, Adam Petty, who was also a NASCAR driver and was killed in a crash on May 12, 2000.
- Owns Richard Petty Motorsports.
- Was inducted into the first class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Lee Petty — Father
- Sharon Petty Farlow — Daughter
- Kyle Petty — Son
- Lisa Petty Luck — Daughter
- Rebecca Petty Moffit — Daughter
- Elizabeth Toomes — Mother
- Maurice Petty — Brother
- Lynda Petty — Wife