- Was a skilled rugby player with aspirations to play professionally, but contracting tuberculosis as a teen ended his pursuit; was also a champion racquetball player.
- Made feature-film debut in the 1959 comedy Alive and Kicking.
- Came to fame and received his first Oscar nomination for 1963's This Sporting Life, playing a rugby player.
- Definitive role was as King Arthur in the 1967 film version of Camelot, a part he eventually played on Broadway in 1981 and for five years on the road.
- Recorded several albums and in 1968 had a Top 10 hit in Britain and the U.S. with "MacArthur Park."
- Published a collection of poems in 1973 titled I, in the Membership of My Days.
- Was knighted by Denmark in 1985.
- In 1987 began as a visiting professor at the University of Scranton.
- Took the role of Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone after his granddaughter threatened to never speak to him again if he refused the part.
- A life-size statue of him as a teen playing racquetball was erected in 2006 in Kilkee, Ireland; a statue of him as King Arthur was erected in his hometown of Limerick, Ireland, in 2007.
- 1973, Grammy — Best Spoken Word Recording: Winner
- 1972, Emmy — Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1968, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 1991, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1963, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1964, BAFTA Film Awards — Best British Actor: Nominee
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1990, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1963, Cannes Film Festival — Best Actor: Winner
- 2000, European Film Awards — European Film Academy Lifetime Achievement Award: Winner
- Ann Turkel — Ex-wife
- Patrick Ivan Harris — Brother
- William George Harris — Brother
- Noel William Michael Harris — Brother
- Jamie Harris — Son
- Dermot Harris — Brother
- Charlotte Brosnan — Niece
- Ivan Harris — Father
- Damian Harris — Son
- Mildred Harris — Mother
- Jared Harris — Son
- Christopher Brosnan — Nephew
- Elizabeth Rees — Ex-wife
- The London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, London, England
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. This Is Us Is Shattering Our Perfect Image of Jack
- 2. Hey Hollywood, There Are Other Black Colleges Besides Howard
- 3. Rel Co-Creator Kevin Barnett Dies While on Vacation in Mexico
- 4. Demi's Sociopathic Edit Is the Highlight of The Bachelor So Far
- 5. Kerry Washington Heads to Netflix for American Son
- 6. Here's When The Expanse Season 3 Heads to Amazon Prime Video
- 7. Chicago Fire's Gentle Human Mouch Blows Up at Otis in a Jarring Sneak Peek