- Began his stage acting career in Canada while also helping to establish two theatres, including the Chester Summer Playhouse in the lobby of a Nova Scotia curling rink.
- Early roles in his television and movie career included a Little House on the Prairie episode and playing Henry Fonda's firefighting son in the film City on Fire.
- Won a Merritt Award (Nova Scotia theatre) in 2007 for Best Supporting Actor in Fool For Love and was nominated the following year for Best Direction in The Drawer Boy.
- Collected Dora Mavor Moore Awards (Doras) for Best Actor in In the Jungle of the Cities (1984) and for his portrayal of an aging Tennessee Williams in His Greatness (2011).
- Narrated several episodes of Nova on PBS, as well as all six episodes of the TV series The Sea Hunters.
- Recorded an audio book for Rockbound, a Frank Parker Day novel set on an island off Nova Scotia, Donat's birthplace.
- 1986, Genie Awards — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- Peter Donat — Brother
- Lucas Donat — Nephew
- Robert Donat — Uncle
- John Donat — Cousin
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; National Theatre School of Canada, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (1967)
- 1. Riverdale: What the Actual Hell Is Hiram Up To?
- 2. Power Boss Honors 'Beloved' Crew Member Killed in On-Set Accident
- 3. At Long Last, Jeffrey Dean Morgan Is Headed Back to Supernatural!
- 4. Miley Cyrus Confirms She's Going to Be in Black Mirror Season 5
- 5. What to Stream the Weekend of Dec. 14
- 6. The Cast and Creators of Good Trouble Tease Callie and Mariana's Sexy Fresh Start
- 7. A Million Little Things Bumps a Shondaland Show in New ABC Lineup