- Began his stage acting career in Canada while also helping to establish two theatres, including the Chester Summer Playhouse in the lobby of a Nova Scotia curling rink.
- Early roles in his television and movie career included a Little House on the Prairie episode and playing Henry Fonda's firefighting son in the film City on Fire.
- Won a Merritt Award (Nova Scotia theatre) in 2007 for Best Supporting Actor in Fool For Love and was nominated the following year for Best Direction in The Drawer Boy.
- Collected Dora Mavor Moore Awards (Doras) for Best Actor in In the Jungle of the Cities (1984) and for his portrayal of an aging Tennessee Williams in His Greatness (2011).
- Narrated several episodes of Nova on PBS, as well as all six episodes of the TV series The Sea Hunters.
- Recorded an audio book for Rockbound, a Frank Parker Day novel set on an island off Nova Scotia, Donat's birthplace.
- 1986, Genie Awards — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- Lucas Donat — Nephew
- Robert Donat — Uncle
- John Donat — Cousin
- Peter Donat — Brother
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; National Theatre School of Canada, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (1967)
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Trailer for The Terror: Infamy Will Make Your Skin Crawl
- 2. Netflix's 2019 Originals: A Comprehensive Guide
- 3. Meet Your Host for American Love Island, Comedian Arielle Vandenberg
- 4. Maya Rudolph Deserves an Emmy Nomination for Giving Us Life… After Death in Forever
- 5. Give Hank Azaria's Foul F—ing Mouth on Brockmire an Emmy Nomination
- 6. Riverdale's Season 4 Premiere Will 'Honor' Luke Perry
- 7. Jason Momoa Would 100 Percent Do a Twins Remake with Peter Dinklage