- Served in the New Zealand Army for four years as a signaler trained in Morse code.
- Performed standup comedy in Britain for eight years before landing his first screen role.
- Met fellow New Zealanders Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement at a comedy festival; after hitting it off, they collaborated on several projects, including Flight of the Conchords.
- Created his Flight of the Conchords character on the spot at the first shoot.
- Served as an ambassador for Greenpeace's "Sign On" campaign to reduce carbon emissions by 2020.
- Theo Darby — Son
- Finn Darby — Son
- Rosie Carnahan — Wife
- University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand