- His first acting role was in elementary school, where he played a teddy bear in a toy shop.
- Among his high-school classmates were adult-film star Ron Jeremy and former CIA director George Tenet. While VelJohnson had a starring role in the class production of The King and I, Jeremy played piano in the orchestra.
- Was the only Family Matters cast member to appear in every episode of the series, which was a spinoff of the sitcom Perfect Strangers.
- In 1993, he was awarded the inaugural Spirit Award for his volunteer work with the Catholic Big Brothers organization.
- Learned the long-running Family Matters was canceled when he received a call to clean out his dressing room.
- Portrayed Sgt. Al Powell in the first two Die Hard films, provided the character's voice in the 2002 video game Die Hard: Vendetta and reprised the role in the 2008 "Chuck Versus Santa Claus" episode of NBC's Chuck.
- Wrote and starred in the 2005 film short Sunday Evening Haircut, about a couple whose marriage is troubled because he feels his wife is overly religious.
- Dan Johnson — Father
- Eva Riley — Mother
- John Riley — Stepfather
- Barry VelJohnson — Brother
- New York University, New York, New York, United States (BA in Theater)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. 10 Spooky Shows to Stream for Halloween Screams
- 2. Castle Rock Season 2 Boss on Crafting the Origin Story for Misery's Annie Wilkes
- 3. Holiday Gift Ideas for Fans of Star Wars, Marvel, Game of Thrones, and More
- 4. Curtis Returns in New Arrow Season 8 Photos
- 5. Evil Sam Winchester: A Supernatural Retrospective
- 6. How to Watch Hocus Pocus This Halloween Season
- 7. Here's Your Essential Star Wars Holiday Gift Guide