- Began his acting career in 1939 with the Margo Jones Community Players in Houston.
- Made his Broadway debut in 1945 in Hamlet.
- Played a space alien in the 1963-66 TV comedy My Favorite Martian, one of his most popular roles.
- His seven-decade career spanned Broadway, television and film.
- Was nominated for an Emmy for the first time when he was nearly 80.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1995.
- Died of lupus at age 86.
- 1994, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Winner
- 1994, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1996, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor for a Drama Series: Winner
- 1956, Tony — Actor (Musical): Winner
- 1995, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Mittie Walston — Mother
- Ruth Calvert — Wife
- Katherine Ann Walston — Daughter
- Harrie Norman Walston — Father
- 1. The Most Popular Show of 2018 Isn't Even on Anymore
- 2. Where to Stream Penny Marshall's Best Movies and TV Shows
- 3. All the TV Marathons Airing on Christmas
- 4. There's a Queer as Folk Reboot in the Works at Bravo
- 5. Penny Marshall, Prolific Actress and Director, Dead at 75
- 6. George Takei Is Headed to AMC's The Terror
- 7. NBC Sets Premiere Dates for John Legend's Season of The Voice and Much More