- Performed with his older brother Ricky when they were both younger.
- Worked as a cook and dishwasher (when he wasn't singing on stage) at the Nashville Palace in the early 1980s.
- Storms of Life, his 1986 debut album, sold more than 4 million copies.
- Inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in 1986.
- Has an uncredited cameo in Young Guns (1988).
- Appeared in seven episodes of Touched By An Angel and also lent the song "When Mama Prayed" to the series finale.
- Released Anniversary Celebration in 2011, a collection of duets and collaborations in honor of the 25 years since the release of his debut album.
- Suffered a stroke in 2013.
- 2004, Grammy — Best Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Gospel Album: Winner
- 1988, Grammy — Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2003, Grammy — Best Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Gospel Album: Winner
- 1998, Grammy — Best Country Collaboration With Vocals: Winner
- 1987, Grammy — Best Male Country Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2009, Grammy — Best Country Collaboration With Vocals: Winner
- 1990, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Country Music Performer: Winner
- 1989, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Male Musical Performer: Winner
- 2013, CMT Music Awards — Collaborative Video of the Year: Nominee
- 2006, Grammy — Best Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Gospel Album: Winner
- Elizabeth Hatcher — Ex-wife
- Bobbie Traywick — Mother
- David Traywick — Brother
- Mary Davis — Wife
- Dennis Traywick — Brother
- Ricky Traywick — Brother
- Harold Traywick — Father
- Sue Traywick — Sister
- Rose Arrowood — Sister
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Blacklist Got Unexpectedly Political With a Next-Level-Weird Male Pregnancy Plot
- 2. Batwoman's Meagan Tandy Talks Sophie's 'Conflicted' Feelings for Kate
- 3. That Hawaii Five-O and Magnum P.I. Crossover We Waited for Is Finally Happening
- 4. How to Watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2019
- 5. The First Crisis on Infinite Earths Arrowverse Crossover Photos Are Here
- 6. Disney Plus Promises to Fix the The Simpsons Cropping Issue
- 7. A Million Little Things' Romany Malco Hopes Rome Eases Stigmas About Men with Depression