- Named after the title character in Francis Beaumont's The Knight of the Burning Pestle, played by his father Timothy Spall in a 1981 Royal Shakespeare Company production, and then by himself in a 2005 revival.
- Encouraged by his father to join the National Youth Theatre at age 15.
- At 19, unhappy with the "fat boy" parts he was being offered, began dieting and exercising and eventually lost nearly 80 pounds.
- Bared it all for his first leading role in 2006's The Chatterley Affair.
- Acted opposite his real-life dad, playing father and son, in a 2007 British television adaptation of E. M. Forster's A Room With a View.
- Worked out for his role in the romantic comedy I Give It a Year, telling Britain's Daily Mail: "I wanted to look convincing enough that audiences would believe Rose Byrne would fancy me."
- 2017, Olivier Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2013, Olivier Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2015, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Elize du Toit — Wife
- Alice Eve — Ex-significant Other
- Pascale — Sister
- Timothy Spall — Father
- Alexandra Mann — Ex-significant Other
- Shane Spall — Mother
- Sadie — Sister
- Lena Spall — Daughter