- First appeared on stage at the age of 14, in Amahl and the Night Visitors.
- Was roommates with Bruce Paltrow in college.
- Studied acting in London for a time.
- Made his Broadway debut in The Man in the Glass Booth opposite Donald Pleasance in 1969.
- Has written poetry and novels, and tours in support of his books.
- His first wife founded the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation after she learned she had contracted HIV from a blood transfusion during childbirth; she unknowingly passed the virus on to her daughter, Ariel, and son, Jake. Ariel died at the age of 7.
- Is an avid photographer.
- 1985, Emmy — Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- Dorothy Glaser — Mother
- Ariel Glaser — Daughter
- Samuel Glaser — Father
- Priscilla — Sister
- Zoe Glaser — Daughter
- Elizabeth Glaser — Wife (deceased)
- Tracy Barone — Ex-wife
- Jake Glaser — Son
- Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, United States (BA in English Literature and Theater); Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States (MA in Theater)