- Took the first name of his father, Oliver, to honor the man, who died when the son was an infant.
- Attended a number of military and boarding schools as a youth.
- As a teen, worked as a projectionist, ticket-taker and manager at a movie theater in his hometown of Milledgeville, GA, stoking his interest in motion pictures.
- Billed himself as Babe Hardy early in his career.
- Appeared as the Tin Woodsman in a 1925 silent adaptation of The Wizard of Oz.
- First official "Laurel & Hardy" film is considered 1927's Putting Pants on Philip.
- Laurel & Hardy starred in 1932's The Music Box, which won the first Best Short Subject Oscar.
- In 1937, he and a number of Hollywood notables, including Bing Crosby, Jimmy Durante and Pat O'Brien, founded Del Mar Race Track in California.
- Since 1988, his hometown has held an annual Oliver Hardy Festival to honor him.
- Lucille Virginia Jones Hardy — Wife
- Sam Hardy — Stepbrother
- Myrtle Lee Reeves Hardy — Ex-wife
- Oliver Hardy — Father
- Madelyn Saloshin — Ex-wife
- Emily Norvell Hardy — Mother
- Elizabeth Hardy Sage — Stepsister
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now