- His first feature film, Kicking and Screaming, premiered at the 1995 New York Film Festival, when he was 26.
- Teamed up with fellow writer-director Wes Anderson to write The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou in 2004 and Fantastic Mr. Fox in 2009.
- Wrote a lead role for then-wife Jennifer Jason Leigh in his 2007 drama Margot at the Wedding.
- Made two short films for Saturday Night Live in 2008.
- Periodic contributor to The New Yorker.
- 2006, Writers Guild Awards — Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 2006, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Director: Nominee
- 2005, Sundance Film Festival — Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award: Winner
- 2005, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Nominee
- 2014, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Feature: Nominee
- 2010, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Adapted Screenplay: Nominee
- 2006, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Writer: Nominee
- 2005, Sundance Film Festival — Directing Award: Dramatic: Winner
- 2006, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Screenplay: Nominee
- Jennifer Jason Leigh — Ex-wife
- Georgia Brown — Mother
- Nico Baumbach — Brother
- Greta Gerwig — Significant Other
- Rohmer Emmanuel Baumbach — Son
- Jonathan Baumbach — Father
- Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York, United States (BA in English, 1991)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Dancing With the Stars Host Tom Bergeron Speaks Out Against Sean Spicer Casting Decision
- 2. What's New on Netflix in September
- 3. What's Leaving Netflix in September 2019
- 4. What to Stream the Weekend of August 23
- 5. James Van Der Beek Tops the Stacked Dancing with the Stars Season 28 Cast
- 6. Snowfall Stars Remember John Singleton
- 7. Sherman's Showcase's Bashir Salahuddin Talks Going From Fallon's 'Slow Jam the News' to Creating One of the Most Brilliant Comedies of the Year