- Taught elementary school in Colorado at the school he once attended.
- After medical school, completed his pediatrics internship at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles.
- Is a childhood friend of ER executive producer John Wells.
- Directed and wrote the ABC Afterschool Special "Private Affairs."
- Writes about teen health issues for Scholastic Magazine.
- Is a television writer and producer who has written for ER and Law & Order: SVU.
- 1997, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2001, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 1997, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 1996, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2004, Writers Guild Awards — The Valentine Davies Award: Winner
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- Gerrie Smith — Wife
- Caleb — Son
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States (BA in Political Science, 1978); Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States (EDM, 1979; AM in Sociology, 1982; MD, 1996)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. Grey's Anatomy Took Elevator Foreplay to Another Level in the Winter Premiere
- 2. Gotham: Bane's Coming, Y'all
- 3. More Than 40 Million Netflix Viewers Have Been Creepin' on YOU
- 4. Oliver and Felicity Will Star in a Documentary in Arrow's 150th Episode
- 5. Red Checks in at Club Fed in This Exclusive The Blacklist Sneak Peek
- 6. Sabrina's Kiernan Shipka Will Star In a Netflix Holiday Rom-Com From John Green
- 7. How to Watch the Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Premiere Red Carpet