- Entered the music industry as a member of the short-lived R&B group Envy.
- Is a successful songwriter with writing credits that include Rihanna's "Take a Bow," Beyoncé's "Irreplaceable" and Jennifer Hudson's "Spotlight."
- The first three of his albums - In My Own Words, Because of You and Year of the Gentleman - went platinum.
- In 2009, was nominated for five Grammys, including Album of the Year and Best R&B Song.
- Collaborated with Marvel's Stan Lee to create a comic book to accompany his 2010 album Libra Scale.
- In 2011, performed at a campaign fundraiser for Barack Obama with the Goo Goo Dolls.
- In 2012, signed to Motown Records and was named Senior Vice President of A&R of the label.
- Founded the Compound Foundation, a national organization with a goal of enhancing the well-being of youth growing up in foster care and group homes.
- 2008, Grammy — Best Male R&B Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2007, Grammy — Best Contemporary R&B Album: Winner
- 2008, Grammy — Best R&B Song: Winner
- 2015, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Supporting Actor in a Movie Made for Television or Limited Series: Nominee
- Monyetta Shaw — Ex-significant Other
- Loraine Smith — Mother
- Mason Evan Smith — Son
- Crystal Renay — Wife
- Shaffer Chimere Smith Jr. — Son
- Madilyn Grace Smith — Daughter