- Named Michelle after the Beatles song.
- Began skating at age 5.
- Despite finishing second at the U.S. National Championships in 1994, she lost her spot in the Olympics to Nancy Kerrigan.
- Won the silver medal at the 1998 Olympics and bronze in 2002. She was forced to withdraw from the 2006 games due to injury.
- While competing, she wears a Chinese good-luck charm that was a gift from her grandmother.
- Her sister Karen was also a figure skater.
- Understands Chinese, but does not speak fluently.
- Won eight straight U.S. Championships and five World Championships.
- Karen Oppegard — Sister
- Ron Kwan — Brother
- Clay Pell — Husband (separated)
- Danny Kwan — Father
- Estella Kwan — Mother
- Attended University of California, Los Angeles; Univeristy of Denver, Denver, Colorado, United States (BS in International Studies, 2009)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Oscars 2019: What Time Are the Oscars and How to Watch Online
- 2. The Blacklist: More Truths About (the Real) Reddington Are Revealed
- 3. Outlander Boss Addresses Jamie and Claire's Sex Drought
- 4. Tracee Ellis Ross on How Black-ish Enlisted Octavia Spencer to School Us for Black History Month
- 5. The Originals' Leah Pipes Is Headed to Another Witchy CW Series, and It's Not Legacies
- 6. Sizzy Will Heat Up in Shadowhunters' Final Season
- 7. Jane the Virgin Creator Is Bringing Jaime Camil to Her New Comedy