- Fell off the stage during his first public performance as a child, when he played Martha Cratchit in a school production of A Christmas Carol.
- Formed a comedy-writing team while attending Brasenose College with fellow future Monty Python member Terry Jones.
- Along with Jones, was hired to write for the Frost Report, a BBC sketch comedy show that also employed future Python members Graham Chapman, John Cleese and Eric Idle.
- Has done a number of travel documentaries for the BBC, beginning with an episode of Great Railway Journeys of the World in 1980.
- Based his character in the comedy A Fish Called Wanda (1988) on his father Edward, who stuttered.
- Traveled from the North to South Pole for a travel program called Pole to Pole in 1992.
- Lent his name to London's Michael Palin Centre for Stammering Children, which opened in 1993.
- Has an asteroid named for him, 9621 Michaelpalin.
- Serves as the president of Transport 2000, which lobbies for sustainable transportation, such as bikes, buses and trains.
- 1984, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Original Song Written for a Film: Nominee
- 1989, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- Mary Rachel Lockhart Ovey — Mother
- Edward Moreton Palin — Father
- Helen Gibbins — Wife
- Thomas Palin — Son
- Richard Lockhart Ovey — Grandfather
- William Michael Palin — Son
- Rachel Palin — Daughter
- University of Oxford, Brasenose College, Oxford, England (1965)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Downton Abbey Movie Trailer Teases a Visit from the King and Queen
- 2. Daenerys Got the Game of Thrones Ending She Deserved
- 3. Chicken Nuggets Caused a Lot of Beef on The Bachelorette
- 4. Game of Thrones Series Finale Photo Recap: Is This Really How We're Picking Kings Now?
- 5. Hot Robin Arryn Totally Neville Longbottomed Us in the Game of Thrones Finale
- 6. Alabama Won't Air Arthur's Gay Wedding Episode
- 7. Legends of Tomorrow Boss on That Zari Twist and What It Means for Season 5