- Attended Terenure College, where he began acting in the school's theater program.
- Returned to Ireland after graduating from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art to begin his career as a theatre actor before moving into television and film.
- Was part of the original cast of the play The Seafarer when it premiered on the West End in 2006; when the play transferred to Broadway, his role was recast with Sean Mahon.
- Appeared in the play The Night Alive at the Donmar Warehouse in 2013, opposite Ciarán Hines and Jim Norton.
- Joined Game of Thrones during the show's second season, as the recurring character Roose Bolton; was promoted to a series regular for season six.
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England (1987)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Game of Thrones' Series Finale Proved Why You Should Never Break the First Rule of Storytelling
- 2. 12 Questions Game of Thrones Is Unfortunately Never Going to Answer
- 3. The Society's Kathryn Newton Weighs In on All the Biggest Fan Theories
- 4. Oops, Sophie Turner's Tattoo Kind of Did Spoil Game of Thrones
- 5. Here's Why Tyrion's 'Honeycomb and Jackass' Joke in the Game of Thrones Finale Sounds So Familiar
- 6. 5 Times Game of Thrones Hinted Bran Would Be King
- 7. The Game of Thrones Finale Just Beat The Sopranos for This HBO Record