- Caught the acting bug after he saw a college stage production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Did an extra year in undergrad school to avoid serving in the Vietnam War.
- Made his Broadway debut in Bent; his portrayal of Greta, a cross-dressing nightclub owner, earned him a Drama Desk nomination for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play.
- Won an Obie Award in 1982 for his performance in the off-Broadway play No End to Blame.
- Received a Best Actor Drama-Logue Award in 1986 for his theatrical work in The Real Thing.
- Met his wife on the Family Ties' set, where she worked as one of the casting directors.
- Took his wife to her father's grave site when he proposed to her.
- Shares the same birth date and year with his Family Ties costar, Meredith Baxter, who played his wife.
- William Gross — Father
- Virginia Gross — Mother
- Theodore — Stepson
- Mary Gross — Sister
- Elza Bergeron — Wife
- Katharine — Stepdaughter
- University of Illinois at Chicago Circle, Chicago, Illinois, United States (BA in Speech and Theatre, 1970); Yale University, School of Drama, New Haven, Connecticut, United States (MFA in Acting, 1973)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Exclusive: There's a Very Important Bonus Scene in the Perfectionists Finale
- 2. Everything We Know About the Lord of the Rings TV Series
- 3. Orange Is the New Black Season 7 Premiere Date and First Look Photos
- 4. What Would Happen If Game of Thrones Had a Season 9?
- 5. Desna Is in 'Full Gangster' Mode in The Claws Season 3 Trailer
- 6. How Antonio, Connor, and Ava Might Depart One Chicago
- 7. Jared Padalecki Says Sam and Dean's Death Might Be the Only Way to End Supernatural