- Is of Irish, German and Cuban ancestry.
- Put on operas in her backyard when she was a little girl.
- Once worked as the Sauza Tequila rooster for an event, which required her to wear a rooster costume. Other pre-success jobs included waitress, department-store clerk and milkmaid at an ice-cream shop.
- Studied acting with the legendary Uta Hagen.
- Gave up a baby for adoption during her 20s. Years later she hired a private investigator to locate him; they reconnected and have since formed a good relationship.
- Her 1985 Broadway debut in I'm Not Rappaport came about by chance: the actress originally chosen to play Clara broke her leg, necessitating a last-minute cast substitution.
- Reported to the Married to the Mob set on its first day with a bad case of poison ivy.
- 1991, Tony — Actress (Play): Winner
- 1992, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2002, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 1995, Tony — Actress (Featured Role--Play): Nominee
- 1991, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- Vincent Ruehl — Father
- Christopher — Son
- Jake Xavier Ruehl Geiser — Son
- David Geiser — Husband
- Mercedes Ruehl — Mother
- Vincent Peter Ruehl — Brother
- Nathan Lewis — Ex-significant Other
- The College of New Rochelle, New Rochelle, New York, United States (BA in English, 1969)