- Had formal piano training as a child.
- Attributes much of her shyness to her unusual voice and being teased in school.
- Attended a predominately white boarding school where she encountered taunting because of her race.
- Studied screenwriting at the University of Southern California's film school.
- Adopted her stage name as a homage to a hometown neighbor.
- Music critics often draw likenesses to Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Eartha Kitt, Etta James, Janis Joplin and Tina Turner.
- First album, On How Life Is, released in 1999, had gone platinum three times over by the time she released her second album, The Id, in 2001.
- Started the M. Gray Music Academy as an afterschool arts-education program for kids in L.A.
- 2000, Grammy — Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- Cassius — Daughter
- Laura McIntyre — Mother
- Nathon — Brother
- Aanisah — Daughter
- Tahmel — Son
- Richard McIntyre — Stepfather
- Nehlia — Sister
- Tracy Hinds — Husband
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States (1990)