- Had formal piano training as a child.
- Attributes much of her shyness to her unusual voice and being teased in school.
- Attended a predominately white boarding school where she encountered taunting because of her race.
- Studied screenwriting at the University of Southern California's film school.
- Adopted her stage name as a homage to a hometown neighbor.
- Music critics often draw likenesses to Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Eartha Kitt, Etta James, Janis Joplin and Tina Turner.
- First album, On How Life Is, released in 1999, had gone platinum three times over by the time she released her second album, The Id, in 2001.
- Started the M. Gray Music Academy as an afterschool arts-education program for kids in L.A.
- 2000, Grammy — Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- Cassius — Daughter
- Laura McIntyre — Mother
- Nathon — Brother
- Nehlia — Sister
- Tracy Hinds — Husband
- Aanisah — Daughter
- Tahmel — Son
- Richard McIntyre — Stepfather
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States (1990)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Jussie Smollett's Lawyers Slam 'Law Enforcement Spectacle' After Arrest
- 2. Jussie Smollett Returns to Empire Set After Arrest
- 3. Grey's Anatomy Theory: Is Amelia Planning Her Exit?
- 4. Star Trek: Discovery: Everything We Know About the Red Angel and Those Mysterious Signals
- 5. Hope's Former Flame on The Originals Will Appear on Legacies
- 6. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – Paddleton, Chef's Table
- 7. WWE's Roman Reigns Is Returning to Monday Night Raw With an Update on His Leukemia Diagnosis