- Godfather was lyricist Ira Gershwin and she was named after his song "Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)." Her godmother was Kay Thompson, singer and author of the Eloise children's books.
- Made film debut as a toddler in the 1949 musical In the Good Old Summertime, which starred her mother, Judy Garland.
- Was once married to Jack Haley Jr, whose father played the Tin Woodman in The Wizard of Oz.
- At age 17, made off-Broadway debut in Best Foot Forward.
- In 1963, she released her first solo album, Liza, Liza!
- For her 2002 wedding to David Gest, Tito and Michael Jackson were best men and Elizabeth Taylor was one of 17 bridesmaids.
- Became the first performer to win an Academy Award whose parents also both won Academy Awards (her father for directing Gigi; her mother, an honorary Oscar, for The Wizard of Oz).
- Involved in numerous charitable efforts, including amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research. She also served on the board of the The Institutes for The Achievement of Human Potential.
- 1971, BAFTA Film Awards — Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles: Nominee
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1973, Emmy — Outstanding Single Program - Variety and Popular Music: Winner
- 1973, Emmy — Outstanding Achievement by a Supporting Performer in Music or Variety: Nominee
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1969, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1982, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1973, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 1972, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Winner
- 1965, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 1984, Tony — Actress (Musical): Nominee
- 1978, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1974, Tony — Special Award: Winner
- 1976, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1980, Emmy — Outstanding Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1978, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1987, Emmy — Outstanding Informational Special: Nominee
- 1970, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1973, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress: Winner
- Joey Luft — Half Brother
- Lorna Luft — Half Sister
- Lee Anderson Minnelli — Stepmother
- Peter Allen — Ex-husband
- Christiana Nina Minnelli — Half Sister
- Jack Haley Jr. — Ex-husband
- David Gest — Ex-husband
- Mark Gero — Ex-husband
- Ira Gershwin — Godparent
- Vincente Minnelli — Father
- Judy Garland — Mother
- Kay Thompson — Godparent
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – She's Gotta Have It, Rim of the World
- 2. Is The Society Renewed for Season 2?
- 3. The Week in Superlatives: Least Expected Burn, Best Kept Secret, and the Randomest Mic Drop
- 4. Adam Levine on Leaving The Voice: 'For Me, It Was Time to Move On'
- 5. Rim of the World Review: Stranger Things Rip-Off Is Dumb, but Watchable
- 6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Is the Best Indiana Jones Movie
- 7. Go Behind the Scenes of That Andre Flashback Scene in Marvel's Cloak and Dagger