- Began studying ballet at age 10.
- Was spotted on stage by Gene Kelly, who recruited the teenager to costar with him in the Academy Award-winning picture An American in Paris (1951).
- Danced with Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Rudolf Nureyev.
- Eventually gave up dancing because of a hip operation.
- Owns a bed and breakfast, Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes (The Owl's Nest Inn), in the Burgundy region of France.
- Published her autobiography Thank Heaven: A Memoir in November 2009. The title is a reference to the opening song from her hit musical Gigi sung by Maurice Chevalier.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on December 8, 2009; it's placed between those of former costars Gene Kelly and Louis Jourdan (Gigi).
- 1959, Golden Globe — Actress in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Winner
- 1962, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1963, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1953, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2000, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1964, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Winner
- 1954, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Foreign Actress: Winner
- 1963, BAFTA Film Awards — Best British Actress: Winner
- 1959, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- Jennifer Caron Hall — Daughter
- Warren Beatty — Ex-significant Other
- Christopher John Hall — Son
- Geordie Hormel — Ex-husband
- Claude Caron — Father
- Paul Magwood — Ex-husband
- Peter Hall — Ex-husband
- Robert Wolders — Ex-significant Other
- Margaret Caron — Mother
- Michael Laughlin — Ex-husband