- Once worked as a psychiatric nurse at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago.
- Took acting classes at Chicago's Steppenwolf Theater.
- While pursuing her dream of a career in acting, she worked as a painter, paperhanger, bartender and waitress.
- Moved to Hollywood in her mid-50s to pursue her acting career.
- First TV job was a small role on the sitcom Family Matters.
- After the death of her West Wing character, White House presidential secretary Mrs. Landingham, the position was filled by Lily Tomlin. She and Tomlin went on to costar as sisters on Desperate Housewives.
- Survived lung cancer twice before succumbing to the disease in June of 2012.
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- George Joosten — Ex-husband
- Tim Joosten — Son
- Jonathon Joosten — Son
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Suits Boss Promises Fans All the Darvey Romance They've Been Waiting For
- 2. Pearson Review: This Spin-Off Is Definitely Not Suits 2.0
- 3. 10 Free Things to Do at San Diego Comic-Con 2019 Without a Badge
- 4. Emmys 2019: Complete Coverage of the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards
- 5. You Need to See the OG Childlike Empress' Response to Stranger Things' NeverEnding Challenge
- 6. The Most Painful Snubs and Happiest Surprises of the 2019 Emmy Nominations
- 7. Hannah Finally Came to Jesus on The Bachelorette