- Born to a Czech mother and a Serbian father.
- Changed his name at age 22.
- Made his Broadway debut in 1937 and his film debut in 1940's They Knew What They Wanted.
- Originated the role of Mitch in A Streetcar Named Desire on Broadway in 1947; reprised the role in the film version in 1951, for which received a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award.
- Both of his Oscar nominations were for films opposite Marlon Brando and directed by Elia Kazan.
- Earned four Emmy nominations for his role as Mike Stone in The Streets of San Francisco (1972-77) but never won.
- Served as president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences 1989-1992.
- His 1997 autobiography, When Do I Start?, was co-authored by his daughter Carla.
- 1976, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1985, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Special: Winner
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1976, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 1975, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1957, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1963, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1954, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1951, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2003, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1974, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1957, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Foreign Actor: Nominee
- Petar Sekulovich — Father
- Minnie Sekulovich — Mother
- Carla Malden — Daughter
- Mila Doerner — Daughter
- Milo Sekulovich — Brother
- Mona Greenberg — Wife
- Art Institute of Chicago, Goodman School of Drama, Chicago, Illinois, United States (BFA in Acting, 1937)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – Paddleton, Chef's Table
- 2. WWE's Roman Reigns Is Returning to Monday Night Raw With an Update on His Leukemia Diagnosis
- 3. Review: ABC's New Spy Show Whiskey Cavalier Is Adequate Background Noise
- 4. A Netflix Movie or Head Trip? Working Through Paris Is Us
- 5. All the Easter Eggs in Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone Trailer
- 6. Netflix Renews Hill House as Anthology Series with The Haunting of Bly Manor
- 7. Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone Trailer Makes Jacob Tremblay Riding a Tricycle Look Sinister AF