- Appeared in a number of theatrical productions starting when she was 11.
- Bitten by the acting bug when younger brother, Jason, joined the cast of Little House on the Prairie during the show's final season; signed with her brother's agency and landed roles in commercials at the age of 15.
- Originally read for a small role in the pilot of Family Ties and was then asked to audition for the part of underachiever Mallory Keaton, which she ultimately landed.
- Forayed into professional theater in 1984 in the drama Journey to the Day, playing a suicidal woman in a mental institution. Brother Jason was also in the cast, and their father, Kent Bateman, directed the play.
- Taught acting classes and directed a play at Otis Parson's in downtown L.A. during the summer of 1986.
- In a November 9, 1996, article of TV GUIDE magazine, discussed her struggles with eating disorders during Family Ties and how she was able to overcome them.
- An avid knitter, she took a break from acting and founded Justine Bateman Design in 2000.
- Sold a script to the Disney Channel sitcom Wizards of Waverly Place in 2008.
- In 2008, appeared before a U.S. Senate committee hearing promoting "net neutrality" of the Internet.
- Is a licensed pilot and certified scuba instructor .
- Served on the National Board of Directors on the Screen Actors Guild.
- 1987, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1986, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1987, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Mark Fluent — Husband
- Kent Bateman — Father
- Olivia Fluent — Daughter
- Jason Bateman — Brother
- Leif Garrett — Ex-significant Other
- Victoria Bateman — Mother
- Duke Kenneth Fluent — Son
- Attends University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. mixed-ish Review: The black-ish Spin-off Gets Being Mixed Race Right
- 2. There's a Light at the End of the Tunnel for Jo on Grey's Anatomy
- 3. Survivor: Rob Cesternino Reveals His Favorite Island of the Idols Players – and How He Became a Survivor Legend
- 4. Alfred Tries to Dump Sandra In this Pennyworth Sneak Peek
- 5. Chicago P.D.'s Season 7 Premiere Will Finally Provide Answers About Antonio's Absence
- 6. Where to Stream Downton Abbey
- 7. Here Are the Episodes of Netflix's Criminal to Watch First