- As a child, acted with the Boston Children's Theatre.
- Graduated from high school at 16 and went to Paris to study mime and mask under Jacques LeCoq at L'Ecole de Mime.
- Received a grant to study puppetry in Japan after college and ended up living in Indonesia for four years after forming her own theater company.
- Was the first woman to receive a Tony Award for directing a musical, for The Lion King in 1997.
- Directed The Magic Flute for the Metropolitan Opera's 2005-06 season.
- 2002, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Nominee
- 1998, Tony — Costume Designer: Winner
- 1997, Tony — Director (Musical): Nominee
- 1998, Tony — Director (Musical): Winner
- 1998, Tony — Original Musical Score: Nominee
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievement in Costume Design for a Variety or Music Program: Winner
- 1997, Tony — Scenic Designer: Nominee
- Laurie — Sister
- Elliot Goldenthal — Significant Other
- Melvin Taymor — Father
- Betty Taymor — Mother
- Michael Taymor — Brother
- Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, United States (BA in Mythology and Folklore, 1974)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Wynonna Earp Stars Share Their Hopes and Predictions for Season 4
- 2. The Blacklist's Aram-Centric Episode Reveals What Happens When Keeping It Rich Goes Wrong
- 3. Netflix's Cowboy Bebop Faces Long Delay After John Cho's On-Set Injury
- 4. Supernatural's Kevin Tran Deserved Better in His Season 15 Return
- 5. iZombie's David Anders Joins Roswell, New Mexico Season 2
- 6. Fiona's Crappy Ex on Shameless Is Going to Be a Hot Doctor on Grey's Anatomy
- 7. Survivor: Island of the Idols: Ranking the Worst Lies in Survivor History ... Including Noura's