- Introduced to country music by his grandmother.
- Influences include Hank Williams, Randy Travis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash and Vern Gosdin.
- Made his public singing debut in church at age 5 with the song "Arky Arky."
- Developed a vocal lesion in the mid-'90s, due in part to working around chemicals in an agricultural warehouse. He had to cease singing for a year while it healed.
- Was a classmate of American Idol contestant Melinda Doolittle at Belmont University.
- Wrote breakthrough hit "Long Black Train" after listening to a Hank Williams box set while at the Belmont library.
- Released his debut full-length album, Long Black Train, in October 2003. It went on to sell more than 1 million copies.
- 2004, CMT Music Awards — Flameworthy Breakthrough Video of the Year: Nominee
- 2007, CMT Music Awards — Male Video of the Year: Nominee
- Crawford Marion Turner — Son
- Jennifer Ford Turner — Wife
- Matt Turner — Brother
- Joe Turner — Father
- Carrie Turner — Sister
- Karen Turner — Mother
- Colby Lynch Turner — Son
- Hampton Otis Turner — Son
- Belmont University, Nashville, Tennessee, United States (BA in Music, 2001); attended Francis Marion University, Florence, South Carolina, United States (1996-98)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Bachelorette's JoJo and Jordan Talk Wedding Plans and Their New Show Cash Pad
- 2. Big Little Lies Season 2 Finale Recap: The Truth Comes Out
- 3. The Loudest Voice Episode 4 Recap: Roger Ailes Kidnaps His Mistress
- 4. Fear the Walking Dead Isn't Making a Lot of Sense Right Now
- 5. Riverdale Casts Shannen Doherty for Special Tribute to Luke Perry
- 6. Gone Baby Gone! Supernatural Stars Give an Impala Away to Fan at San Diego Comic-Con
- 7. Big Brother Producer Addresses Bullying Accusations