- Mother is Methodist and a physical-education teacher; father is a Mennonite and a harness-racing driver and trainer. His paternal grandfather was a Mennonite preacher.
- Was accepted to Carnegie Mellon University but instead played Rolf in a touring company of The Sound of Music.
- Played Melchior Gabor in the original off-Broadway production of Spring Awakening, and then again on Broadway.
- Is openly gay; while playing a heterosexual character on Glee, found himself in the middle of a controversy when a 2010 Newsweek article stated that gay actors are often not convincing playing straight roles.
- Taught a Children's Musical Theater Master Class in acting and song interpretation.
- Has performed in a one-man cabaret act.
- 2015, Grammy — Best Musical Theater Album: Winner
- 2007, Tony — Actor (Musical): Nominee
- 2016, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Musical): Nominee
- Julie Groff — Mother
- David Groff — Brother
- Zachary Quinto — Ex-significant Other
- James Groff — Father
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Bachelor in Paradise Finale: Buy Demi, Hold Blake, Sell Chris Bukowski
- 2. Peter Weber to Captain The Bachelor Season 24
- 3. SEAL Team Showrunner Steps Down Following CBS Investigation
- 4. The Rookie Investigation Finds No Wrongdoing Following Afton Williamson's Harassment Allegations
- 5. A Grey's Anatomy and Station 19 Romance Is Definitely Happening: 3 Ideas Who It Could Be
- 6. Here's a First Look at Rihanna's Savage X Fenty Show on Amazon
- 7. 10 Things We Learned About Friends From the Tell-All Book Generation Friends